New language feature: array-types

Ramin ramin.honary at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 09:59:40 EDT 2008

Well, in C/C++, and most any other imperative languages (as you probably
know) is O(1) for both reading and updating arrays. Until Haskell can do
this, I don't think Haskell is a viable option for operating system
design, computer graphics, or embedded applications. Thats a shame
because Haskell can do pretty much anything else, and much better/safer
than imperative languages -- at least until we get CPU's specially
designed to run Haskell code at the machine-level.

I was hoping that Haskell-prime would address this. I could be wrong but
it really comes down to whether or not the Haskell code be optimized to
use arrays in the same way that a C program would. And this optimization
could be explicitly declared by the programmer if the language allowed
for it, right?