FFI, safe vs unsafe

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Thu Mar 30 18:52:11 EST 2006

>> didn't I mention that "concurrent" may be inappropriate and misleading,
>> and that I think it is bad practice to rely on the programmer annotating
>> the dangerous cases, instead of the safe cases?
>
> I think dangerous is a misleading term here. you are already using the
> FFI, all bets are off. and it is not really dangerous to accidentally
> hold up your VM when you didn't expect, it is more just a simple bug.

perhaps "dangerous" was too strong a term, but if programmers don't
annotate an ffi declaration, what is more likely: that they meant to state
a property of that function, or that they didn't mean to?

if there is a way to avoid simple bugs by not making assumptions about
undeclared properties, then I'd prefer that to be the default route. if,
on the other hand, programmers do annotate the ffi declaration, then
it is up to them to make sure that the function actually has the property
they claim for it (even in such cases, Haskell usually checks the
declaration, but that isn't an option here).

> Unsafe or dangerous means potentially leading to undefined behavior,
> not just incorrect behavior or we'd have to label 2 as unsafe becaues
> you might have meant to write 3. :)

you mean your compiler won't catch such a simple mistake?-)

but, seriously, that isn't quite the same: if I write a Num, it's my
responsibility to write the Num I meant, because the implementation
can't check that. but if I don't write a Num, I'd rather not have the
implementation insert one that'll make the code go fastest, assuming
that would always be my main objective! (although that would be
a nice optional feature!-)

>> wouldn't the safe approach be to assume that the foreign call may do
>> anything, unless the programmer explicitly tells you about what things
>> it won't do (thus taking responsibility).
>
> I think the worse problem will be all the libraries that are only tested
> on ghc that suddenly get very poor performance or don't compile at all
> when attempted elsewhere.

- GHC and the other implementations should issue a warning for
    using non-standard or non-implemented features (that includes code
    that won't obviously run without non-standard features)
- if an implementation doesn't implement a feature, there is no way
    around admitting that, standard or not
- if adding valid annotations are necessary to make non-GHC
    implementations happy, then that's what programmers will have to do
    if they want portable code; if such annotation would not be valid, we
    can't pretend it is, and we can't pretend that other implementations
    will be able to handle the code

- if only performance is affected, that is another story; different
    implementations have different strengths, and the standard shouldn't
    assume any particular implementation, if several are viable
- but: if certain kinds of program will only run well on a single
    implementation, then programmers depending on that kind of program
    will only use that single implementation, no matter what the standard
    says (not all my Haskell programs need concurrency, but for those
    that do, trying to fit them into Hugs is not my aim)

> However, the 'nonreentrant' case actually is dangerous in that it could
> lead to undefined behavior which is why that one was not on by default.

why not be consistent then, and name all attributes so that they are off
by default, and so that implementations that can't handle the off case will
issue a warning at least?

cheers,
claus