Existential types: want better syntactic support (autoboxing?)

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Tue Jan 31 07:59:56 EST 2006

Am Montag, 30. Januar 2006 19:02 schrieb Duncan Coutts:
> [...]

> I have often thought that it would be useful to have an existential
> corresponding to a class.

How would this work with multi-parameter classes, constructor classes, etc.?
If you propose something that only works in conjunction with a special kind
of classes I would hesitate to include such thing in a Haskell standard.

I think that it would often be nice to have Template Haskell standardized and
implement features like autoboxing via some library using Template Haskell.
This way, we would keep the actual language small but open the door for lots
of useful extensions.  This principle of a small but powerful (extensible)
language is used already a lot without Template Haskell, so why not use it
also in conjunction with Template Haskell in cases like the autoboxing
approach.

> [...]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang