Export lists in modules

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Wed Feb 22 11:07:50 EST 2006

Am Dienstag, 21. Februar 2006 21:59 schrieb Ketil Malde:
> Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang at jeltsch.net> writes:
> > On the other hand, sometimes it makes sense to have a "mostly qualified"
> > import.  For example, if you import Data.Set or Data.Map you might want
> > only the type constructors to be imported unqualified and the rest to be
> > imported qualified.
>
> Personally, I would greatly prefer to have libraries that do not clash
> with common Prelude functions.

I would solve this problem by reducing the Prelude to just a core.  List
function could go, for example, (mostly) into Data.List.

> I find it quite annoying to always have to import these modules twice, and
> still have to qualify many uses.
>
> If you always have to qualify it, what's the advantage of
> Data.Set.empty over emptySet again?  At least with 'emptySet' I know
> what to grep for.

I would import Data.Set as Set.  So I would use Set.empty instead of emptySet.
The advantage is that Set.empty is more structured.  You can easily
distinguish the kind of operation (empty) and the type you are working with
(Set).

> -k

-w