Representing Tuple types as products

Jan-Willem Maessen jmaessen at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 6 19:45:34 EST 2006

On Feb 6, 2006, at 8:58 AM, Ben Rudiak-Gould wrote:

> Thomas Davie wrote:
>> fst :: α × β → α
>
> even without Unicode we could allow
>
>     fst :: a * b -> a
>
> like ML. But I'm not sure I like this.

I am on the record as hating this with a burning passion,
personally.  This is one of those places where mathematical notation
actually obscures rather than clarifying.  Continuing the error in ML
was a mistake.  Fundamentally, I *like* that the k-tuple type in
Haskell looks like a k-tuple, and not some randomly-associated infix
binary operator.

-Jan-Willem Maessen