FDs and confluence

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Wed Apr 12 19:36:02 EDT 2006

thanks, Tom!

indeed, for that old thread on an alternative translation, which forked from
an even older thread, I put aside all my wishlist and simply focussed on
removing what I considered anomalies in the operationalisation of type
classes with FDs via CHR in the old translation. the CHR resulting from
the alternative translation should not allow any new constraints to be
proven, it should only make sure that any FD-based information is fully
used in any results, completing any incomplete deductions in the old
system.

I found it highly irregular that whether or not an FD was respected by the
CHR system resulting from the original translation could depend on reduction
strategies - the only way for real implementations to work around this
shortcoming would be to iterate improvement before continuing reduction,
which puts additional constraints on the implementer in an already complex
system; and the only way for a formal system based on this incomplete
translation to be safe was to try and cover all the possible holes with a
set of restrictions that backfire by complicating the language design and
making the whole idea of FDs look more tricky than it needs to be.

there are interesting problems in FDs, but it seems that the confluence
problems were merely problems of the old translation, not anything
inherent in FDs! I really had hoped we had put that phantom to rest.

(btw, in a real implementation, I wouldn't expect the memo constraints
to enter the constraint store at all - they are just a CHR-based way to
express a memo table, hence the name; as, in fact, I explained before
even starting that alternative translation thread..).

cheers,
claus