[Haskell-community] Requesting guidance for GSoC Project

Khilan Ravani khilanravani at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 18:15:56 UTC 2018

Sir/Mam,

I am a sophomore student pursuing Computer Science and Engineering (C.S.E)
from Indian Institute of Information Technology, Vadodara. I am well adapt
with concepts of Deep Learning, Image Processing & AI and am currently
working on a few research topics in the same domain. I have adequate
experience in machine learning and Signal / Image processing (completed a
few deep learning based projects ) and am currently pursuing some research
problems in Satellite Imaging (Hyper-spectral data analysis) and processing
SAR images.

Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologize to you for contacting you via
the mailing list this late. Please forgive me for misinterpreting the
process for new project ideas for participating in GSoC 2018 for Haskell
organization. Actually, I tried to communicate my interest for 'Summer of
Haskell' program (I was unaware at that time that it was only for years
when Haskell didn't participate in GSoC) to the general committee
(*committee at haskell.org
<committee at haskell.org>*) from where George Wilson sir directed me towards
Alp and Jared sir and then I got in touch with Alexey sir.

The project that I aim to accomplish during the GSoC period is quite
straightforward. I plan to enhance the existing code base of Haskell Image
Processing (HIP) package with some new contemporary algorithms (with a few
state of the art ones). The current version of HIP package has a limited
scope and I plan to manifold the coverage of this library by adding various
algorithms from different classes of image processing in it. I have
discussed this project with Alp, Jared and Alexey sir of whom Alexey sir is
the author of the HIP package. Some algorithms which I plan to implement
include :

1) Adaptive Histogram Equalization (since Histogram is already implemented)
2) Canny Edge Detection, Contour Extraction
3) Hough transform
4) Gabor filter
5) Deconvolution
6) Otsu Thresholding method
7) Dithering (Floyd - Steinberg)
8) Un - implemented filters (HOG, LOG etc.)
9) Fingerprint (i.e Biometric) Detection.

I feel that this project is doable within the summer period and that it can
be a great addition to the Haskell organization since firstly, It would
expand the scope of the library and increase the user base of Haskell and
secondly, no other functional programming languages (including Clojure, Elm
etc.) have a decent image processing library and hence it can be a very
good chance for Haskell to be an obvious choice of developers looking
forward to implement Computer vision problems with some functional
programming language. I have had an discussion with  Alexey and Jared sir
and they seem to agree that this project can be a really good addition for
our Haskell organization.

Also, for my technical skills : I do possess the required programming
skills (C++, OpenCV, Python, Haskell (Basics), Tensorflow, Keras (CUDA
framework), Watson API, Matlab) as well as the exposure to open source
platforms such as github. Also, I can provide you with my CV if and when
you say.

I would be really delighted to know how you feel about this project. Once
again, I am very sorry for contacting this late via the mailing lists and
would like to sincerely request you to go through the project that I am
suggesting and kindly provide your valuable opinions on the same.

I will happily provide you with further clarifications on the project if
you need any.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you,
Yours sincerely,