[Haskell-cafe] Hiding type variables from the signature?

Ignat Insarov kindaro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 14:09:36 UTC 2022

Alright, I found a nice example of how things fail. See this addition to the
previous code:

```Haskell
-- | This is the right tensorial strength of a functor with respect to tupling.
deasil :: Functor functor => (functor left, right) -> functor (left, right)
deasil (functor, value) = fmap (, value) functor

deasilsA
  :: forall peels seed value.
  ( Squeezy seed (Dress seed peels) peels
  , ForAll peels Functor )
  => (Dress seed peels, value) -> Squeezed peels (seed, value)
deasilsA = deasil . first squeeze

deasilsB
  :: forall peels seed value.
  ( Squeezy (seed , value) (Dress (seed, value) peels) peels )
  => Squeezed peels (seed, value) -> Dress (seed, value) peels
deasilsB = stretch

deasils :: _ => (Dress seed peels, value) -> Dress (seed, value) peels
deasils = deasilsB . deasilsA
```

What is the type of `deasils`?

```
% ghci-9.2.2 Squeeze.hs
GHCi, version 9.2.2: https://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
Loaded GHCi configuration from /home/kindaro/code/dotfiles/ghci.conf
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( Squeeze.hs, interpreted )
Ok, one module loaded.
λ :type deasilsB . deasilsA
deasilsB . deasilsA
  :: (ForAll peels Functor,
      Squeezy'
        seed
        (Dress seed peels)
        peels
        (Strip seed (Dress seed peels) == '[]),
      Squeezy'
        (seed, value)
        (Dress (seed, value) peels)
        peels
        (Strip (seed, value) (Dress (seed, value) peels) == '[])) =>
     (Dress seed peels, value) -> Dress (seed, value) peels
```

Looks good, but…

```
λ f = deasilsB . deasilsA

<interactive>:2:1: error:
    • Could not deduce: Dress seed0 peels0 ~ Dress seed peels
```

What is going on? How can I have my `deasils`?

I tried attaching all kinds of type annotations, but nothing works so far. I do
not even understand the problem. How is it that an expression can be typed, but
cannot be assigned to a name?

You can see the complete code at the gist [1].

[1]: https://gist.github.com/kindaro/6056f753bcf356ced96b817fee72533c/2823ec2792f089de65abfb0a0bf677f96432fff4