[Haskell-cafe] stack: pandoc fails to build as dependency

Olaf Klinke olf at aatal-apotheke.de
Wed Oct 16 13:57:25 UTC 2019

Dear cafe,

I am baffled to learn that stack does not provide builds as reproducible as advertised.
I have a project that depends on pandoc. It builds fine on my Debian 9 machine. Then I check out the project on a Debian 8 machine. Downloading and building pandoc-2.7.3 with the latest stack-2.1.3 on the Debian 8 machine runs fine.
Now I create a new project, using the same stack.yaml as in the pandoc-2.7.3 package, except now pandoc-2.7.3 is an extra-dep. The project's only module contains nothing but:

module Test where
import Text.Pandoc

Building this project with the same stack results in a linker error:

pandoc   > Preprocessing executable 'pandoc' for pandoc-2.7.3..
pandoc   > Building executable 'pandoc' for pandoc-2.7.3..
pandoc   > [1 of 2] Compiling Main
pandoc   > [2 of 2] Compiling Paths_pandoc
pandoc   > Linking .stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux/Cabal-2.4.0.1/build/pandoc/pandoc ...
pandoc   > collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
pandoc   > `gcc' failed in phase `Linker'. (Exit code: 1)

This seems to be independent of the LTS version (the stack.yaml in pandoc-2.7.3 says lts-13.17 although lts-13.17 contains pandoc-2.5 and pandoc-2.7.3 is available only in 14.9).

Can somebody hint what I am doing wrong? Should I file a bug report?

Thanks
Olaf