[Haskell-cafe] Ord methods too strict?

V.Liepelt V.Liepelt at kent.ac.uk
Wed Jan 2 11:31:38 UTC 2019

More concretely, it's likely that Ord Bool is defined via `compare`, which is necessarily strict in both arguments.

Yes, this did come to mind. In general a non-strict `compare` would only make sense for `()`.

One of the relationships implied by the Ord typeclass is:

a <= b = True  iff  compare a b = EQ \/ compare a b = LT

So wouldn’t it make sense to define `compare` in terms of the “weaker” relations? It seems very unhaskelly to do the unnecessary work of evaluating the second argument to a relation when we already know what the result should be.

Vilem