[Haskell-cafe] What is your favourite Haskell "aha" moment?

Takenobu Tani takenobu.hs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 10:05:25 UTC 2018

Hi simon,

I feel a lot of aha in Haskell.
However, the most basic characterise I think are the following.

  * Algebraic data type (*Extremely wonderful*)
  * Pattern matches
  * Higher-order function
  * Partial application
  * Polymorphic type
  * Recursion and Lazy pattern

I show its features in the code below.

Simple code example 1:

    ```Haskell
    -- Algebraic data type
    data DNA = A | C | G | T
               deriving Show

    -- Using algebraic data type with list
    dna1 :: [DNA]
    dna1 = [A,A,T,C,C,G,C,T,A,G]

    -- Pattern matches
    abbrev :: DNA -> String
    abbrev A = "adenine"
    abbrev C = "cytosine"
    abbrev G = "guanine"
    abbrev T = "thymine"

    -- Higher-order function and Partial application
    abbrevDNAs = map abbrev

    -- Interactive example
    {-
    ghci> abbrevDNAs [A,A,C,G,A,T]
    ["adenine","adenine","cytosine","guanine","adenine","thymine"]
    -}
    ```

Simple code example 2:

    ```Haskell
    -- Algebraic data type
    data RNA = A | C | G | U
               deriving Show

    data Amino = Ala | Arg | Asn | Asp | Cys | Gln | Glu |
                 Gly | His | Ile | Leu | Lys | Met | Phe |
                 Pro | Ser | Thr | Trp | Tyr | Val | Error
                 deriving Show

    -- Pattern matches
    rna2amino :: [RNA] -> Amino
    rna2amino [A,A,A] = Lys
    rna2amino [A,A,G] = Lys
    rna2amino [G,A,A] = Glu
    rna2amino [A,U,G] = Met
    rna2amino [C,A,U] = His
    rna2amino _       = Error

    -- Higher-order function
    convert :: [RNA] -> [Amino]
    convert xss = map rna2amino $ splitN 3 xss

    -- Polymorphic type, Recursion and Lazy pattern
    splitN :: Int -> [a] -> [[a]]
    splitN _ [] = []
    splitN n xs = let (as,bs) = splitAt n xs
                  in as : splitN n bs

    -- Interactive example
    {-
    ghci> convert [A,A,A,G,A,A,A,U,G,C,A,U]
    [Lys,Glu,Met,His]
    -}
    ```

Of course, I am not familiar with genom :)

Regards,
Takenobu