[Haskell-cafe] What's the story behind "applicative" in "Constant Applicative Form"?

sonne kindaro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 16:21:10 UTC 2018

Hi cafe.

I've been trying to make the concept of CAFs get through to me, but
the very name is cryptic enough to stupefy me. What does it mean for a
thing to be "applicative"? Is it related to the concept of applicative
functor (likely not)? What would a constant non-applicative form look
like? A non-constant applicative form? An applicative non-form, in the
end?

I put a question on Stack Overflow about this, only to discover no
one's really sure. I would appreciate either an answer put there right
away or a permission to re-post or rephrase an answer there myself,
but, if you do mind, I will of course keep the answer private to this
mailing list. This is the link to the question:
stackoverflow.com/questions/48489778

Thank you!

P.S. I guess this is my first e-mail to this list, so please kindly
let me know if it's unfit or in any way out of line.