[Haskell-cafe] Optimization demonstration

Neil Mayhew neil_mayhew at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 27 18:51:17 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-27 08:19 AM, Shao Cheng wrote:

    Coming back to your use case, you may try avoid using raw lists and
    switch to unboxed vectors, turn on -O2 and rely on stream fusion of
    the vector package. That will result in a considerable speedup.

I looked at the core that’s generated, and there’s no need for vectors.
Fusion happens, there’s no use of lists at all and unboxed types are
used. The code boils down to a single recursive function:

|let go i sum = case i of 100000000 -> sum + 200000000 _ -> go (i + 1)
(sum + i * 2) in go 1 0 |

except that the types are unboxed. The following complete program
compiles down to almost identical core when compiled without optimization:

|{-# LANGUAGE MagicHash #-} import GHC.Exts main = print $ I# value where
value = let go :: Int# -> Int# -> Int# go i sum = case i of 100000000#
-> sum +# 200000000# _ -> go (i +# 1#) (sum +# i *# 2#) in go 1# 0# |

I think that’s impressive even if it’s not a single number. Execution
time on my lowly i5 is only 50ms.

BTW, GHC 8 seems to have removed the option for exporting core
(|-fext-core|) but there’s a wonderful plugin package called |dump-core|
<https://github.com/yav/dump-core> that produces HTML output with
colouring and interactivity. You just install it from Hackage and use
the extra options it provides.

It seems to me that gcc’s compile-time evaluation of this loop is a
special-case that matches the kind of thing that often crops up in C. I
assume it’s not capable of doing that for every expression that could be
evaluated at compile time, so a more complicated and realistic example
would probably defeat it. After all, ghc could in theory evaluate any
pure value (CAF) at compile time if it chose to, but that’s usually not
what you want.

Also, it’s worth noting that due to Haskell’s lazy evaluation, a pure
value (CAF) will never be evaluated more than once at runtime, which
isn’t something you get with C.

​