[Haskell-cafe] Faster set intersections?

Olaf Klinke olf at aatal-apotheke.de
Sun Dec 9 18:48:46 UTC 2018

> Am 09.12.2018 um 19:31 schrieb Siddharth Bhat <siddu.druid at gmail.com>:
>
> I don't understand, how does
>
> (a -> Bool) -> a
>
> model a set?
MigMit was right. When I learned about this, I thought is was black magic. Suppose
find :: (a -> Bool) -> a
This function 'find' models a hypothetical non-empty set S. The specification is that for every predicate
p :: a -> Bool
that terminates on every element of S (this condition is important!), find p will be a member of S that satisfies p, if there is such a member, and any member of S otherwise. Since find is specified to always return a member of S, the set S is guaranteed to be non-empty. You can select some element from S by calling 'find' on (const True).

For example, the singleton x is defined as the constant function
\p -> x
The doubleton {x,y} is defined as
\p -> if p x then x else y
Binary union is defined as
union find find' = \p -> if p (find p) then find p else find' p
Existential quantification over S:
exists p = p (find p)
Universal quantification over S:
forall p = not (exists (not.p))

In order to represent the empty set as well, I stuck in the Maybe, so that Nothing represents the empty set and (Just find) represents a non-empty set.

Olaf