[Haskell-cafe] Is this a GHC parser error? A test case compiles from one line but not another.

Alexis King lexi.lambda at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 04:05:53 UTC 2017

No, it isn’t a GHC parser error.

Your preceding expression ends in a where clause, like this:

   assertBool "4" $ p == Right a where
       p = ...

That’s fine, but make sure you understand how where works. Where clauses
are not attached to individual expressions, they are *always* attached
to definitions. In this case, the where clause is not attached to the
assertion but to your definition of tHash. GHC parses your program the
same way as this one:

    tHash = TestCase $ do
        assertBool "4" $ p == Right a
      where
        p = ...

Therefore, the where clause forces the termination of the do block,
since it exists syntactically outside the “body” of a definition. It is
its own syntactic construct, an optional sequence of definitions in
scope within the RHS of a definition. You cannot have any more
expression after the where clause because they would be free-floating,
outside of any particular definition.

If you really want definitions that are scoped to that single assertion,
use a let expression instead of a where clause:

    let p = ...
        a = ...
    in assertBool "4" $ p == Right a

That works, since let...in blocks serve as completely ordinary
expressions, and they are permitted anywhere an expression is permitted
(unlike where clauses, which must “belong” to a top-level or let-bound
definition).