[Haskell-cafe] Using stringize and string concatenation in ghc preprocessing

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Mon Jan 23 19:55:14 UTC 2017

Am 22.01.2017 um 17:18 schrieb Brandon Allbery:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
> wrote:
>
>> This would be a problem only if they anticipate a need to distibute
>> modified versions of cpphs or other sorts of work derived from it.
>>

> Corporate lawyers are not interested in *your* interpretation of GPL, only
> their own.

It is not "my" intepretation, rather it is the "official" interpretation
of the GPL according to the people who created it (the FSF).

> And most of them won't touch GPL3 or even LGPL3 with a ten foot
> pole. Shouting your interpretation of it at them won't change anything.

Do you have any evidence to support this statement? I ask because if
what you say is true, most companies willfully and severely restrict
their options. For instance, a company that employs lawyers who "won't
touch GPL3 or even LGPL3 with a ten foot pole" could not use Linux in
any way (the kernel is GPL licensed), nor e.g. Android (based on Linux
kernel).

I have no data on how many companies in the world use Linux. What I do
know is that many companies, even big corporations, actually support the
Linux kernel with code (e.g. drivers), thus triggering the most
restricting clauses in the GPL. For instance, Volkswagen AG has
contributed socketcan to the kernel.

Cheers
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." ― Scott Adams