[Haskell-cafe] Very _very_ slow compiles on Windows 10

A.M. agentm at themactionfaction.com
Sat Sep 17 01:20:38 UTC 2016

On 09/16/2016 06:10 PM, Nicu Ionita wrote:
> Is anybody else experiencing really slow compilations with GHC 7.10.2 on
> Windows 10?
>
> I use stack to compile the project and run it under a mingw64
> environment provided by Github bash. The CPU usage is very low all the
> time (meaning: GHC does barely use the CPU). On same computer with
> Ubuntu 16.04 it just compiles normally, but under Windows it is for sure
> 10x slower, maybe even more.

Are you using virtualization? I see the same thing under virtualbox on
Ubuntu. Specifically, even after allocating 12 real CPUs to the VM, I
never see stack-invoked ghc use more than one CPU. On rare occasions,
the linker phase hangs. I have confirmed that ghc reports 12 capabilities.

I'm just glad that Windows is not my primary development platform; it's
entirely possible that virtualization is the cause. VirtualBox is not
known for being a speed demon, but the compilation speed is indeed
embarrassing.