[Haskell-cafe] Standard package file format

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 00:27:14 UTC 2016

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 3:42:48 PM UTC+2, Kosyrev Serge wrote:

> Chris Kahn writes:
> > I would like to second this thought. Using Haskell for package
> > descriptions needs to be thought out and executed with great care and
> > attention. It's really easy to go off the rails.
> >
> > Scala's build system lets you do very powerful things, but it also
> > makes things unnecessarily complicated and mystifying for beginners.
> > At my previous work where we used Scala extensively, there were many
> > times where the team simply resorted to external tools because
> > figuring out how to make some seemingly trivial change to an SBT
> > module was too time consuming.
>
> Let me guess (have no idea about sbt) -- unbridled Turing completeness?
>

> Declarativity is king for configuration, and Turing completeness ain't it
> --
> please, see my other mail about subsetting Haskell.

That's not the main problem with SBT. How do I explain it? Take this as an
example of what Haskell should *not* do.

# SBT made difficult

Look, we all know a monad is just a monoid in the category of endofunctors,
right?. Now, a SBT build configuration is just a heterogeneously-typed map
from keys to monadic values that can be evaluated to a graph of setting
transformers and build actions, so what's the problem?
And oh, I forgot to mention keys aren't simple strings but have a hierarchy
themselves, and this hierarchy is used for inheritance and overriding of
settings (nothing as simple as OO inheritance, mind you, think of something
like CSS but different).
Isn't using Haskell supposed to require a PhD? So why would its build tools
use something so simple as nested records, like Cabal does?
</sarcasm>
I think I'm trolling, but the above is somewhat accurate (except for any
misunderstanding of SBT I might have)—I personally enjoy using SBT and its
power, and once you learn it can be reasonably easy, but I think Kmett's
lens library might be simpler to learn.

In fairness, many SBT builds can be read without having any clue of the
above, because they look like imperative programs. But as soon as you need
to do a bit more or you make a type error, you end up facing some of the
above complexity—if you want, the "imperative program" abstraction is
extremely leaky.

For instance, here's something "easy" (but count the amount of custom
symbolic operators):

scalaVersion := "2.11.0"
scalacOptions += "-deprecation"
libraryDependencies += org.scalatest" %% "scalatest" % "2.0"

Then you want to use one setting when defining another, and suddenly you
end up with:

libraryDependencies <+= scalaVersion (ver => "org.scala-lang" %
"scala-compiler" % ver)

Luckily, this can be done more easily nowadays, thanks to Scala macros O_O.