[Haskell-cafe] project compile with multi-versions of alex

Zilin Chen zilinc.dev at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 00:48:17 UTC 2016

Hi Cafe,

I have a Haskell project which has ~90 dependencies (transitively) and
is managed with plain cabal (w/o stackage, etc.). I try to keep it
compile with a few latest releases of GHC (so right now 7.8.4, 7.10.1,
7.10.2 and 7.10.3).
It was tractable with conditionals in the cabal config file with minor
annoyance. But recently I found this issue:language-c-quote-0.11.3 does
not compile with alex 3.1.5 [1]. I was wondering if I should also allow
a few versions of executables, like alex, happy, etc (I can see though
it will be a huge pain); or should I force all users to use the latest
versions of them (I don't know if they are compatible with old ghc
versions)? What's the common practice for other projects? Any hints?
What should I write in my cabal config?

Thanks,
Zilin

[1]https://github.com/mainland/language-c-quote/issues/57