[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] ghc-mod-5.6.0.0: Supporting GHC 8.0 and Cabal 1.24

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Mon Aug 1 19:04:16 UTC 2016

I'm pleased to announce the release of ghc-mod 5.6.0.0!

What's new?
===========

* Support for GHC 8.0 and Cabal 1.24

    Nothing too spectacular to report here, just regular maintenance work.

* Type Contexts fixed

    Thanks to @Lierdakil `ghc-mod type` now finally displays type (class)
    constraints in most cases. This has been on the TODO list for a very long
    while now, going back to at least GHC 7.8. GHC's API just doesn't have a
    nice, simple, way for doing this and we had to resort to manually walking
    the typechecked AST while collecting constraints in various places.

* Various bug fixes and smaller improvements

  From the change log:

    * Merge #737, `map-file` caching issues
    * Merge #767, Add `browse` option to show symbol "parents"
    * Fix #438, Case splitting not working
    * Fix #790, Don't try to use 'cabal' or 'stack' when it's not installed

What is ghc-mod?
================

ghc-mod is both a back-end program for enhancing editors and other development
environments with support for Haskell as well as a library for abstracting the
black magic incantations required to use the GHC API in various environments,
especially Cabal and Stack projects. The library is used by projects like
HaRe[1], and haskell-ide-engine[2]

Getting ghc-mod
===============

GitHub: https://github.com/DanielG/ghc-mod
Hackage: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ghc-mod

Editor frontends:

  - Emacs (native):
      https://github.com/DanielG/ghc-mod
      https://github.com/iquiw/company-ghc
  - Vim:
      https://github.com/eagletmt/ghcmod-vim
      https://github.com/eagletmt/neco-ghc
  - Atom:
      https://github.com/atom-haskell/ide-haskell

Known issues
============

For issues other than the ones mentioned below visit our issue tracker:

  https://github.com/DanielG/ghc-mod/issues

Frequently reported issues
--------------------------

ghc-mod once compiled is bound to one version of GHC since we link against the
GHC API library. This used to not be a very big problem but since Stack made it
exceedingly easy for users to use more than one version of GHC without even
knowing the number of problems in this area has exploded. We are tracing the
issue in the following issue: https://github.com/DanielG/ghc-mod/issues/615
(Support switching GHC versions without recompiling ghc-mod)

If you do notice any other problems please report them:

  https://github.com/DanielG/ghc-mod/issues/new

----
[1]: https://github.com/alanz/HaRe
[2]: https://github.com/haskell/haskell-ide-engine