[Haskell-cafe] Emacs (was stack and the Atom editor)

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 08:43:31 UTC 2016

On 10 April 2016 at 17:36, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 7:29 AM, Thomas Koster <tkoster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> If I can't make Atom work for me, I will drop it just as fast as I
>> dropped Emacs. Spacemacs was suggested to me off-list; if it addresses
>> my complaints about Emacs, I might give it a chance. But Atom is the
>> topic of this thread, so lest this thread descend into a text editor
>> flame war, I suggest we stop talking about Emacs (or Vim, or Eclipse,
>> or anything else).
>>

> [Note the changed subject line :-) ]
>
> Ive been having a great deal of confusion/trouble with emacs haskell-mode of
> late.
> No this is not a gripe about haskell-mode
> Just that I find myself confused over
>
> The old comint interface and new λ one -- when does which kick in

I don't think the old comint interface is used at all any more (but
may still be present for backwards-compatibility).

> Basic setups -- is it called haskell-mode/haskell-emacs or what?

haskell-emacs was Chris Done's first attempt at writing a new Haskell
mdoe for Emacs before he merged it into haskell-mode proper; so you
probably don't want to use haskell-emacs any more (it's rather old and
quite probably bitrotted).

> I dont quite know when things stopped working/being comfortable/familiar but
> I remember it as having nothing to do with haskell -- updating org mode or
> some such

? org-mode can be a pain to upgrade due to compilations trying to use
already loaded/present versions, but installing haskell-mode via
package.el is rather easy.

> Just that I am supposed to be (at least out here!!) an emacs and haskell
> expert and while showing others how to get started I am often finding my own
> setups embarrassingly broken
>
> Any tips for an old emacs-geezer?

Chris Done has a sample config:
https://github.com/chrisdone/emacs-haskell-config/