[Haskell-cafe] Sound advice

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Sep 15 18:23:57 UTC 2015

I'm looking for advice on generating sounds from a desktop app. I'm
perfectly happy if it doesn't have a GUI, but runs from the command line.

The desire is to take a config file for an embedded device that encodes
tunes it plays back and play them on the desktop. The data could be
represented as:

type Note = Integer
type Duration = Integer
data Tone = Tone Note Duration
newtype Tune = Tune [Tone]

[N.B. - I don't necessarily plan on using the above, I just wanted to
illustrate the types.

Now I just need to play back the resulting tune.

Looking through hackage and hoogle find a number of sound libraries, but
they either seem to be targeted at manipulating audio files and the data
therein, or dealing with midi events and associated devices. I suspect that
at least one of them can do what I want, but before I start delving into
one I'd like to know that it can do this with minimal extra code and pain.

So, anyone want to suggest a library for this task?

Thanks,
<mike