[Haskell-cafe] haskell-ide repository name

Alan & Kim Zimmerman alan.zimm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 07:12:15 UTC 2015

This post generated some discussion on the mailing list(s) [1],[2] and on
reddit [3].

The straw poll [4] garnered (as of time of writing this mail) 138 votes,
broken down as

ghc-ide-engine   56 votes 41%
ghc-ide-service   43 votes 31%
haskides             19 votes 14%
ghc-ide-daemon 16 votes 12%
something else     4 votes  3%

So it seems -ide-engine is the favourite

In a bait-and-switch operation, I think it makes sense to keep the current
"haskell-ide" prefix, and so rename it to

   haskell-ide-engine

This has the advantages of

  a) The prefix is the same, so continuity is slightly better

  b) It does not mentally shut out any tooling constructed using other
compilers/techniques, such as haskell-src-exts

If anyone feels strongly that this is wrong, please let me know.

Regards
  Alan

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2015-October/121965.html
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/haskell-ide/hI3MzXbwqTo