[Haskell-cafe] Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`

Michał Antkiewicz mantkiew at gsd.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 6 00:49:37 UTC 2015

All I am saying is that these various *compat packages manage to
encapsulate the ifdefs to some degree.

Here's the record of my struggle [1]. Then came Edward K. and told me
to use transformers-compat [2]. Then Adam B. chimed in suggesting
mtl-compat [3]. That's it. All my IFDEFs related to this topic were
gone.

I looked at base-compat [4] and it's very interesting. The big question is:

**Why cannot normal base be written the same way as base-compat? **
It would then automatically provide compatibility across all GHC versions.

Michał

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/3gqqu8/depending_on_both_mtl2131_for_stackage_lts2_and/
[2] https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/3gqqu8/depending_on_both_mtl2131_for_stackage_lts2_and/cu0l6nf
[3] https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/3gqqu8/depending_on_both_mtl2131_for_stackage_lts2_and/cu5g73q