[Haskell-cafe] Compatibility etiquette for apps, with cabal sandboxes and `stack`

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Sun Nov 29 15:40:42 UTC 2015

On 11/29/2015 06:54 AM, Paolo Giarrusso wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> IIUC, people used to spend nontrivial effort making their Haskell tools
> work across a range of dependencies, and be careful about dropping
> support for older ones.
>
> Do cabal sandboxes or Stack reduce that need, at least for
> applications?* Or conversely, how bad is it to restrict support to users
> having them? I guess I am asking about common policies, but this
> probably depends on adoption of those tools.

If your application can't be installed through a package manager, a lot
of end users and every system administrator are going to pretend it
doesn't exist. Using stack/sandboxes hides the fact that the ecosystem
is broken from the developer, but it cannot be hidden from the end user.
Please make sure any such breakage is not your fault =)