[Haskell-cafe] Type-level lazy bool operations

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 16 00:32:30 UTC 2015

GHC offers no well-defined semantics for type-level reduction. In other words, "yes" to your last question: the order of type-level reduction is totally undefined and arbitrary. Right now, it's basically whatever GHC thinks might be the most efficient way to fully reduce a type. This should probably be cleaned up at some point, but probably not in the very near future. That said, there are hacks that can be used to increase laziness in types. If you have a test case where `If` is behaving too strictly, post a bug report, and I'll see what I can do.

As for &&, the extra rules are to allow more reductions than the first two, alone, would yield. For example, we know that (a && False) should reduce to False, no matter what `a` is. For example, the type (forall a. Proxy a -> Proxy (a && False)) is equal to (forall a. Proxy a -> False). Without that third equation, this fact would not be true. The fourth and fifth equations are similar.

I hope this is helpful!

Richard