[Haskell-cafe] Darcs vs Git

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Sun Nov 15 07:00:39 UTC 2015

(Sorry about the self-reply -- just wanted to clarify a bit:)

On 11/15/2015 07:40 AM, Bardur Arantsson wrote:

> That's what I like about Git -- it works on *my* terms rather than its
> terms. (Yeah, the UI isn't exactly great[1], but once you're over the
> learning curve the UX *is*, IMO.)

I also tend to find that some of the UX advantages are actually
*predicated* on doing lots of commits all the time. For example, if
you're committing every 5 minutes or so, then it's extremely easy to
just rewind to a prior point in your work (git reset --hard HEAD~n) if
you find yourself in a dead end. Likewise, if you find that you've done
a bad "git reset --hard" or a bad rebase you can just dig out the old
hash from "git reflog" and reset to that.

If you commit often, none of this will result in losing significant
amounts of work.

Regards,