[Haskell-cafe] GHCi timing statistics

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Thu Mar 5 22:44:44 UTC 2015

> ... still seems to kick 16 CPUs well into the 90%+ utilization range ....
This code has no parallelism primitives in it whatsoever.

You're probably seeing the parallel garbage collector. This is known to
catch the unwary by surprise (see Bryan's comment):

http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/2m0pv6/force_criterion_to_benchmark_sequentially_for/

As an aside: It really would be nice to have some criterion-like ability
from ghci. In fact that would be super cool because none of the other
languages have that.

This is well within the purview of a GSoC and whoever pulls it off bags
bragging rights easily convertible into job offers.

-- Kim-Ee