[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: Shorter Import Syntax

malcolm.wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Fri Jun 5 08:07:09 UTC 2015

Here are some more numbers.  In our private code base of ~12,400 modules totalling >2,300,000 LoC, there are ~143,800 import lines, of which ~65,000 use the "as" syntax.  Of those, ~8,000 have no "qualified", and the remaining ~57,000 use "qualified".  So I make that about 5.6% of our imports.  I think this is quite a lot higher than the Stackage figure, because this code is mostly applications rather than libraries, so it tends to use a larger range of imported functionality from lots of different semi-independent domains.  The chance of naming-overlap for separate concepts is therefore much greater, leading to our common idiom for optional qualification of names with short module synonyms (often single letters).
Regards,
    Malcolm