[Haskell-cafe] Type synonyms considered harmful?

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Mon Jan 19 14:53:53 UTC 2015

In general, use newtypes instead of type synonyms, and records instead
of tuples.

Also, ghc has its flaws when dealing with type synonyms, i.e., in error
messages you find a type synoym needlessly expanded.

Does anyone know a programming language that has type synonyms and
always uses the type syn. in error messages when the user originally
wrote it?  I'd be eager to learn.

Cheers,
Andreas