[Haskell-cafe] Why Haskell is beautiful to the novice

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Aug 31 01:28:00 UTC 2015

On 29/08/2015, at 4:17 pm, M Farkas-Dyck <strake888 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually we ought to start with semiconductor physics, VLSI
> fabrication, and such.
> cuz that's how current computers work.

I did start a computer architecture lecture once
with a 10 minute explanation of what a field effect
transistor does.  The physicist in me was only partly
appeased by the consideration that this was all the
students were _ever_ going to be told about what was
really going on underneath.  Some of the students
thanked me for it.  Some,  didn't.

As for Python, remember that the people who are praising
Python as an initial language are probably comparing it
with Java or C++.