[Haskell-cafe] Why Haskell is beautiful to the novice

Alexey Muranov alexey.muranov at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 10:28:58 UTC 2015

I would like to mention, maybe somewhat off-topick, that the question "what
to teach first, functional or imperative programming?" looks to me a bit
similar to the question "what to teach first, lambda calculus or Turing
machine?".

While lambda calculus looks like a deep and exciting rewriting system, with
interesting algebraic and combinatorial properties and a simpler and more
satisfying definition than that of a Turing machine, it might be not the
best model of algorithm to introduce kids to for the first time. At the
very least, it would be necessary to prove confluence or to restrict to one
evaluation strategy (so no laziness, or the other way around). Justifying
Church-Turing thesis with lambda calculus instead of Turing machine is
intuitively difficult, if at all possible. I have heard from a colleague
(but do not have a reference for this, so not quite sure) that it was the
Turing's solution of Hilbert's decision problem, and not the Church's, that
was fully accepted by the community.

Alexey.