[Haskell-cafe] Syntax extension - adding import support to let/where bindings

Oliver Charles ollie at ocharles.org.uk
Fri Aug 7 08:25:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 9:29 PM Edward Z. Yang <ezyang at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hello Oliver,
>
> This should be a relatively straightforward extension to the renamer.

This is good news! Someone on Reddit mentioned something that hasn't come
up here yet - what happens with Template Haskell and quasiquoters? Does the
renamer fire before that stage is reached? I don't see any reason that you
couldn't import TH "macros" locally, as you can any other top-level
definition, unless there's a limitation in GHC.

One other point that hasn't been mentioned yet, but was implicit with my
original proposal of having the full power of import - should we be able to
hide names in a local context?

That is, should I be able to do

let import Prelude hiding (div)
    import HTML
in div "Hello, World!"

My guess is that now that we're heading towards a syntax extension where we
can open/unqualify a qualified import this is probably not on the table,
but I thought I should raise it first before starting to work on a more
formal proposal.

*ocharles*