[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] Help wanted with Wiki.Haskell.Org

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Tue Apr 21 11:02:16 UTC 2015

Henning Thielemann wrote:
> I'd much prefer to have a gitit/pandoc/markdown
> Wiki were I can pull the whole wiki and manipulate
> it offline.

Yes true. I'm not also happy about the idea of putting it under
control of GitHub Inc., and being left to their mercy.

But that would mean we would need to build and
maintain our own site. Not too hard, but someone must
do it, and maintain it. And we are back to the problem
of Account Creation Management, and dealing with
wiki spam ourselves.

> On the other hand we already had a lot
> of conversions, from the first wiki (what was its name?)
> to hawiki to haskellwiki. Each time making a lot of
> content obsolete and it was no fun for me to update
> each article via the web form. Somewhen in the past
> MediaWiki for haskellwiki was updated which formatted
> the markup differently (e.g. linebreaks after inline code).
> Maybe even these changes were the cause
> that made people move to their own blogs.

Agreed. But what choice have we? Technology moves
forward. Leaving the wiki on an aging platform would
lead to its death, because it would be too hard to maintain,
and because newcomers would not be comfortable
with using it.

Perhaps the migration would be easier this time due
to better tooling. Does pandoc support MediaWiki input?
If not, we could write a backend for it.