[Haskell-cafe] Hackage package "synopsis" sections

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Sep 16 18:41:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't think I can make my point any clearer. I demonstrated that the
>> bug I brought up four years ago still exists, that a separate file makes
>> more sense, that people are more familiar with markdown, that existing
>> tools (editors and sites like Github) already have very solid Markdown
>> support. You've used the same argument multiple times: Markdown has
>> multiple flavors. I get it, you don't like Markdown. You made that clear.
>> But many others- myself included- *do* like Markdown, and want to be able
>> to use it. Your arguments don't convince me that my desires are invalid.
>

> I don;t see where you have, ever, even tried to address the concerns of
> incompatibility, including backward incompatibility. Should I assume that,
> since you have never had trouble with this (probably because you consider
> it a "bug" in haddock, the claim to said bug of course actually being that
> it ever existed in the first place --- if you actually think about the
> implications...), nobody else should ever have had such problems either?
>
> Basically, while you claim that Mateusz's entire argument is "he doesn't
> like Markdown", *your* entire argument boils down to "everyone but Me is
> wrong with a side helping of "whoever invented Haddock forgot to get My
> blessing first". Talking past each other in such way is not constructive.

I can honestly say I don't understand what you're ascribing to me here. The
parenthetical in your first paragraph is particularly confusing to me.

Anyway, I *did* clarify quite clearly my opinion on incompatibility:
Hackage should pick an implementation and advertise that's what it's using.
It's what everyone else does, and people are mostly happy with it. Are
there rough edges? Certainly. Would it be better if there was a single,
perfect Markdown implementation? Yup. But I'd be OK with just any
implementation.

Your last paragraph completely and utterly misrepresented my entire
argument. I said I wanted support for Markdown as one of an array of
options for a README file. How on earth did you derive from this that I
needed to bless Haddock?

Michael