[Haskell-cafe] Generating valid html

Jon Fairbairn jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 15:58:07 UTC 2014

Wojtek Narczyński <wojtek at power.com.pl> writes:

> On 18.11.2014 11:03, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
>>
>> When you’ve done that, do have a look at mine (as posted
>> earlier, there’s a snapshot at
>> http:///scrap.bookofsand.co.uk/HTMLs.tar.gz ). It enforces more
>> of the restrictions in the standards, but uses some more modern
>> Haskell to do it.
>>

> I have had a look, but frankly, the syntax of the html
> generating codes is not as readable as in WASH.

Using the WASH preprocessor, or the straight Haskell Monad
syntax? The reason that I don’t have a Monad is that HTML with
its nesting restrictions isn’t a Monad, and I couldn’t find
Monads for Flow, Inline or Block either. Perhaps one could have
separate Monads for Inline that has <a> in it and Inline that
doesn’t and so on, but that would give too many Monads to be
usable.

Jón Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk