[Haskell-cafe] why is haddock so slow

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 14:56:42 UTC 2014

On 11/06/2014 02:40 PM, Johannes Waldmann wrote:
> I have a larg-ish project (800 modules) and these ghc compilation times:
>
> cabal install                : 19 min
> cabal install --disable-doc  : 13 min
>
> the compilation includes the profiling build.
>
> That is, running haddock takes the same 6 minutes
> as running the compiler (with optimization)
>
> I also built with "optimization: False library-profiling: False"
> and this takes 3 min.
>
> I understand that haddockification goes via the compiler's front-end
> to resolve names and infer types.
> This takes 3 min (as the non-optimizing compiler run shows).

How do you measure this?

> What does haddock do in the other 3 min?
>
> What could I do to help analyze this?

Probably running profiled Haddock executable is the best way to get more
insight. Also check your RAM usage because it can get very high as per
https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues/295 .

I'll very happily take performance-improving patches. If you can provide
some kind of meaningful performance data then that's useful too.

> - J.W.
>
> (ghc-7.8.3, haddock 2.15.0, rotating disk (not SSD), Fedora 20, x86_64)

Mateusz K.