[Haskell-cafe] Templates as typeclasses?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu May 8 23:18:02 UTC 2014

In going over yet again the many failings of template frameworks for
building web apps, I recalled some of the features of the best of the lot,
and wondered if those features might be useful in a Haskell template
framework.

Python's Cheetah tool makes templates almost fully functional members of
Python's OO system.  A template can inherit from a Python class or another
template, and a Python class can inherit from a template.

Which makes me wonder if something similar might not be useful in a Haskell
template framework. Possibly have each template create an appropriate
 datatype and make it as an instance of the Template typeclass (and
possibly others).

Is there already a Haskell web framework that does something like this?
Would it actually add value to a framework?

Thanks,
Mike