[Haskell-cafe] Experimenting a new plotting library

Kai Zhang kai at kzhang.org
Sun May 4 17:58:35 UTC 2014

Hi Tim,

Thank you for commenting. As I said before, Chart is a wonderful library.
Although it has most features we need, I personally feel that it's
cumbersome to make plots or define new plots by Chart. So I would like to
experiment a new library which makes this process more natural and
intuitive. For example, to make a plot, we can

1. generate axes from data by calling:

    xAxis = realAxis rangeOfX padding opts
  yAxis = realAxis rangeOfY padding opts

2. Assemble axes:

area = plotArea 5.5 4.8
       ( yAxis  -- left axis
       , def  -- top axis, using default axis which is a line
       , def  -- right axis
       , xAxis -- bottom axis
       )

3. make delayed plots which are functions. Given a point map provided by
plot area, they can generate actual plots.

   ps = points xs ys def
   l = line xs ys def

3. attach any number and any types of plots to plot area:

    plot = area <+ (ps, BL) <+ (l, BL)

    We have four axes in plot area, so you can attach plots to plot area by
any two of the axes, for example, you can do

    area <+ (ps, BR) <+ (l, BL) <+ (l, TL) <+ (l, TR)

Each intermediate step can be easily customized separately and
independently without worrying about other parts. And styling can be done
by calling APIs of Diagrams.