[Haskell-cafe] FRP, Simulations and Time (Sodium et. al)

Sacha Sokoloski sacha404 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 10:02:31 UTC 2014

So I'm also doing a lot of simulations, and have experimented with FRP
as a basic toolset for defining my simulations.

I experimented with Netwire for a while, and while I still think it's a
good library, I eventually threw it away to rely simply on Mealy Arrows
(Netwire is Arrow based FRP).

 From what I've seen, the point of FRP libraries is to handle
interactivity. That's what all the functions in the libraries are about.
If you do have a virtual time stream that you can simply define at
runtime and doesn't require side effects, you may find, as I did, that
you'll create a simplified type synonym for the FRP structure that
you're working with, and then not really using the libraries at all. The
point is ultimately that, although pure simulations could nicely be part
of any more complicated FRP program, if all you want is to do pure
simulations, then you'll be introducing a fair bit of
computational/structural overhead to fit it within the FRP framework,
without any real payoff.

Cheers,

  - Sacha