[Haskell-cafe] diagrams

Anthony Cowley acowley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 03:44:32 UTC 2014

> On Jun 18, 2014, at 11:31 PM, Dennis Raddle <dennis.raddle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm a math tutor and I want to create videos to explain certain math concepts, and I'm wondering if the diagrams library would help me. There are two questions--first, whether it has the capability to do what I want, and second how hard it would to integrate the animations into YouTube videos with voice-over.
>
> To describe the capability, I'm looking first to typeset equations. Then, second, to represent manipulation of equations by having elements of equations move locations or cross-fade. Also "elements" could mean pictures or non-mathematical notation.
>
> I have no doubt that diagrams can make the diagrams themselves. What I wonder about is the animation capabilities---ability to have elements move or cross-fade (dissolve), in particular.
>
> As far as the ability to integrate these into YouTube videos, that is probably beyond the scope of this list, but maybe someone happens to have done this and knows the answer.
>
> Mike

I'll chime in on the last part: between diagrams, Rasterific (http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Rasterific), and ffmpeg-light (http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ffmpeg-light) you can certainly make animations ready for upload to YouTube. The ffmpeg-light repository has examples of saving out h264 video and Rasterific animations.

Tying these pieces together with some transition effects would be a great project.

Anthony