[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: New mailing lists -- haskell-jobs & haskell-academia

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Fri Jul 4 12:43:54 UTC 2014

On July 3, 2014 4:19:35 PM EDT, Alexander Berntsen <alexander at plaimi.net> wrote:

>On 03/07/14 21:38, Carter Schonwald wrote:
>> could you take this bikeshedding about things that aren't haskell
>> to a different list please :)
>If it is inappropriate to discuss this here, where is this best
>discussed then?

I believe Carter was just making a joke although it can be tough to tell over such a lossy medium.

With respect to the proposal, I agree with others that while splitting the list looks good on paper, in practice people will likely just continue posting where they can get the largest audience unless there are significant disincentives to doing so. Frankly, I don't find the traffic generated by any of the Haskell lists to be onerous so enforcing such disincentives doesn't seem worth the friction they might give rise to. -1 from me.

Cheers,

- Ben