[Haskell-cafe] GLUT under Windows using ghc 7.8.2?

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 23:31:55 UTC 2014

It appears that The Haskell Platform includes libglut32.a and other
important libs, so it is self-contained, provided users can work with
the version of ghc that is provided: currently 7.6.3 under Windows.

In particular, 'cabal install glut' works fine with the default version
of ghc. But if I try using ghc-7.8.2 I get:
Configuring GLUT-2.5.1.1...
cabal: Missing dependencies on a foreign library:
* Missing C library: glut32

All of the following do not change the result:
1. Adding --extra-lib-dirs=c:\glut-3.7.6-bin to the command line.
2. Using freeglut instead of glut
3. Copying libglut.a from The Haskell Package mingw/lib directory to
    c:\ghc-3.8.2\mingw\lib (dangerous because I am mixing
    architectures here).

How does cabal decide that the C library glut32 is missing? Where
is it looking? Why doesn't it look in the places I specify?

Thanks,
Dominick