[Haskell-cafe] Rewrite NetBSD kernel driver using Ajhc Haskell compiler

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Feb 19 23:34:16 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Kiwamu Okabe <kiwamu at debian.or.jp> wrote:
> Hi Johnny, I had forgotten important point.
>
> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se>
wrote:
> >> Maybe someone with more insight could explain to an idiot like me how
> >> Haskell garbage collection is handled when running in the kernel?
>
> Running a simple logic in the kernel, it doesn't call GC.

Having looked over the source, I couldn't get much of a feel for it -
it mostly seemed to be FFI & type declarations. Which does make sense
since the goal is to provide strong type checking in the kernel. Maybe
I'm looking in the wrong place in that rather large repository?

My question is how much does coding to meet the requirements for a
device driver - not doing GC being one of them - warp the resulting
Haskell code? Is it still pretty much idiomatic Haskell, or would it
be easier for a Haskell programmer to figure out the C it replaced?
Most of the time I've seen people try and get a modern language to
meet such requirements (me included), you might as well have stuck
with C as far as code improvement goes.

One of the advantages C has in the kernel - the BSD kernels, anyway,
reading Linux kernel makes me queasy - is that it isn't that different
from C in userland. And the kernel groups have been working on
reducing over the differences.

       Thanks,
       <mike