[Haskell-cafe] Wheb 0.1 released -- Graceful shutdown, Mongo plugin, blaze example and more.

Kyle Hanson hanooter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 19:21:51 UTC 2014

Hello all,

This is a small release, but I thought I would tell you about it. I have
added some new stuff to my Haskell server framework, Wheb.

For those of you (most) who don't know about Wheb, here is Wheb's
description from github:

> Wheb's a framework for building robust, high-concurrency web applications
> simply and effectively. Its primary goal is to extend the functionality of
> the base WAI library as well as provide an easy entry point into Haskell
> web servers. The only prerequisite is "Learn you a Haskell" or another
> introductory Haskell course.

I fleshed out some more examples, rewrote some of the documentation and
made some feature improvements to make it easier to build plugins. The
github repo's readme now contains a small tutorial.

Probably the biggest change this release is the addCleanupHook which you
can use to hook in and run IO actions after server shutdown to cleanup any
open resources. Wheb handles the SIGINT signal and waits for all requests
to complete before shutting down.

Here is the complete changelog:

   - Ability to read settings from a file
   - Add graceful shutdown and cleanup hooks.
   - Ability to monitor number of active connections.
   - Remove Data.Default
   - Add builder helper function
   - URL encoding

You can find Wheb on hackage or github:

   - http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Wheb
   - https://github.com/hansonkd/Wheb-Framework

In addition to these changes, I have released Wheb-Mongo which provides
Auth, Sessions and document manipulation/querying for mongoDB.

   - http://hackage.haskell.org/package/wheb-mongo

If you have any recommendations please feel free to let me know!

--

Kyle Hanson