[Haskell-cafe] FRP Tutorial

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Wed Dec 24 09:54:50 UTC 2014

Lucas Paul wrote:
> I've been trying to get my feet wet with Functional Reactive
> Programming, and I'd like to play around with a library and some
> examples, particularly one that's already set up to work with a GUI
> framework like Gtk2Hs or wx. But it's been nightmarish trying to find
> something that works.
>
> - Grapefruit examples wouldn't compile because they were trying to
> import things I couldn't find in Hackage. (Codebreaker.hs, for
> instance) Examples using git-level stuff?
>
> - reactive-banana-wx wouldn't build because I have array-0.5 on the
> system level and cabal couldn't resolve dependencies.
>
> - threepenny-gui example Buttons.hs wouldn't compile (16:30:
> ‘jsStatic’ is not a (visible) constructor field name)

Author of reactive-banana and threepenny-gui here.

One of the design goals of Threepenny is to be dead simple to install.
Please keep reporting things that don't work. In your case: Are you
trying to run the  Button.hs  file from github? This one is coded
against version 0.6.*, which has not been released on Hackage yet.
Please use the  Button.hs  file included in

   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/threepenny-gui-0.5.0.0

instead, or run the  threepenny-examples-buttons  executable.

As for reactive-banana-wx: There's a reason I started Threepenny. :)

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com