[Haskell-cafe] Problem finding rewrite rules

Thomas Horstmeyer horstmey at Mathematik.Uni-Marburg.de
Fri Aug 29 16:42:28 UTC 2014

Grepping for "Class op" brought up a candidate for the first rule:

./compiler/basicTypes/MkId.lhs-313-
     -- This is the built-in rule that goes
     -- 	    op (dfT d1 d2) --->  opT d1 d2

A few other greps let me think that the other rule is probably one of
those generated by the function primOpRules in
./compiler/prelude/PrelRules.lhs which is called from
./compiler/basicTypes/MkId.lhs:911
The following comment can be found in the file:

"Note [Constant folding]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
primOpRules generates a rewrite rule for each primop
These rules do what is often called "constant folding"
E.g. the rules for +# might say
         4 +# 5 = 9
Well, of course you'd need a lot of rules if you did it
like that, so we use a BuiltinRule instead, so that we
can match in any two literal values.  So the rule is really
more like
         (Lit x) +# (Lit y) = Lit (x+#y)
where the (+#) on the rhs is done at compile time

That is why these rules are built in here."

Hope this helps,
Thomas