[Haskell-cafe] The Good, the Bad and the GUI

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 22:53:37 UTC 2014

I think that the GUI people hace to embrace the formlet concept, used in
HTML interfaces sooner better than later. The GUI development has lost the
train by trying to interface C libraries that are decades old. The reactive
solutions complicates the problem rather than to simplify it. That means
that they are not the correct paradigm.

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 6:16 PM, Wojtek Narczyński <wojtek at power.com.pl>
> wrote:
>
>> Let me write the same thing in other words. It is not controversial to
>> say on this list that specifying what is correct means, is a good idea. But
>> for GUIs, in addition to the strong type, you need another relaxed type to
>> hold the values temporarily, until the human manages to deliver correct
>> data, often by trial and error.
>

> I think there are far larger issues to deal with first: you need to have a
> sensible connection from Haskell to a GUI before you can worry about
> getting data across it. At the moment, we have either mostly procedural
> interfaces to common procedural toolkits (WxHaskell, gtk2hs) or a number of
> still largely experimental FRP interfaces.
>
> It is not particularly difficult to deal with the step that you highlight
> once we have solved the basic interface to the GUI; you can do it with
> Template Haskell, or generics, or lens, or with semi-typed interfaces
> between Haskell and the GUI (for example, I can see Aeson sitting in this
> layer). But figuring out how to work it in depends on knowing what we're
> working it into.
>
> --
> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine
> associates
> allbery.b at gmail.com
> ballbery at sinenomine.net
> http://sinenomine.net