[Haskell-cafe] Poll & plea: State of GUI & graphics libraries in Haskell

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus
Sun Oct 6 08:40:20 UTC 2013

Sven Panne wrote:
> 2013/9/27 Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net>:
>> [...] Am I mistaken about the current status? I.e., is there a solution for
>> Haskell GUI & graphics programming that satisfies the properties I'm looking
>> for (cross-platform, easily buildable, GHCi-friendly, and
>> OpenGL-compatible)? [...]
>
> Time warp! ;-) Point your browser at the gui at haskell.org archives a
> decade ago... I think the consensus at that time was a bit
> disappointing: Either one could have something portable but hard to
> install and alien-looking, or something non-portable but easy to
> install and native-looking. The fundamental UI concepts on the various
> platforms differed so much that there was no hope for a grand unified
> pretty UI library, so those GUI efforts basically ended. I think the
> reasoning behind this hasn't changed recently, but I would love being
> proven wrong.

Well, the advent of modern browsers has changed the first alternative to
"portable, easy to install and alien-looking". That's the niche I'm
belaboring with threepenny-gui.

Personally, I think that the "easy to install" criterion beats all the
others -- it is hard to use a GUI library that you can't install.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com