[Haskell-cafe] Lifting IO actions into Applicatives

Dan Burton danburton.email
Tue Oct 1 09:15:46 UTC 2013

>From what you've said, it sounds like you can already write:

    serverSide :: IO a -> Form a

This seems elegant enough to me for your needs. Just encourage it as an
idiom specific to Forms.

    myBlogForm = Blog <$> titleForm <*> serverSide getCurrentTime <*>
contentsForm

Could you abstract `serverSide` out into a typeclass, such as
ApplicativeIO? Sure. but why bother? The point is, you've got the
specialization you need already.

-- Dan Burton